Umbrella for Journalists in Kasese (UJK) is an indigenous organisation that is working towards enhancing freedom of expression, safety of Journalists and amplifying community voices in Rwenzori Sub Region.
UJK uses community reporting as an approach towards supporting local voices for sustainable Community Led Development, capacity building, research and advocacy to strengthen the media industry.
UJK is also working with freelance journalists, bloggers, content curators and media managers.
We are currently operating in the four districts of Kasese, Bundibugyo, Bunyangabu and Kabarole with its membership drawn across the whole country.
The organization run its activities without recourse to discrimination based on religion, race, sex, tribe, gender or other forms that demean human dignity.
We are also initiated in the principal belief that respect for human rights and freedom of expression are a core element of democracy.
- To further the principle of press freedom and to champion the universal right to freedom of expression.
- To raise the status of journalism upcountry by adopting codes of professional ethics.
- Conduct Civic Advocacy on Open Government and Accountability
- To train local journalists in community based story mapping and telling
- To train journalists in digital reporting
Integrity: To be honesty and reliable to our values
Teamwork: Believing in a collective effort to serve our community.
Accountability: To be accountable for our actions to all stakeholders.
Equity: To be fair and just to everyone without discrimination.